- ICWSM 2020: Tutorial Chair.
- IC2S2 2019: Tutorial Chair.
- #eurocss 2019, 3rd European Symposium on Societal Challenges in Computatoinal Social Science: Organizing Committee.
- #eurocss 2018, 2nd European Symposium on Societal Challenges in Computatoinal Social Science: Organizing Committee, General Co-Chair.
- IC2S2 2017: Programme Co-Chair.
- #eurocss 2017, 1st European Symposium on Societal Challenges in Computatoinal Social Science: Organizing Committee.
- ICWSM 2016: Local Co-Chair.
- CSS Winter Symposium 2016: General Co-Chair.
- CSS Winter Symposium 2015: General Co-Chair.
- CSS Winter Symposium 2014: Local Organizing Team.
- Conference on Science and the Internet (#COSCI12). Together with the Junior Researchers Group “Science and the Internet”, Düsseldorf, August 1-3, 2012.
- DGI-Conference 2012: Social Media & Web Science – The Web as a Living Space. Co-chaired with Isabella Peters. Düsseldorf, March 22-23, 2012. Additional information can be found on the conference blog.
- Co-initiator and co-organizer of the Workshop series “SWiF“, together with Isabella Peters and Dirk Lewandowski. SWiF (Studentischer Workshop für informationswissenschaftliche Forschung) is a series of workshops where students in information science can present their research results and meet fellow students from other universities. It has been running annually since 2010.
- Génois, Mathieu, Katrin Weller, Julian Kohne, Claudia Wagner, and Markus Strohmaier. 2017. “Workshop: Addressing Big Societal Challenges with Digital Behavioral Data.” The 1st European Symposium on Societal Challenges in Computational Social Science, 2017: Inequality and Imbalance, European Symposium Series on Societal Challenges in Computational Social Science, 15.11.2017 – 15.11.2017.
- FAIL! 3rd Workshop on Things that didn’t work out in social media research – and what we can learn from them (#fail2016). Workshop at International Conference on Web and Social Media (ICWSM-16), Cologne, Germany. Organized together with Luca Rossi and Fabio Giglietto.
- #Microposts2016: 6th Workshop on Making Sense of Microposts. Workshop at World Wide Web Conference 2016, Montreal, Canada. Chair of the (Computational) Social Science Track.
- FAIL! 2nd Workshop on Things that didn’t work out in social media research – and what we can learn from them (#fail2015b). Workshop at Internet Research 16 Conference, Phoenix, AZ, USA. Organized together with Luca Rossi and Karine Nahon.
- #FAIL! Things that didn’t work out in social media research – And what we can learn from them (#fail2015a). Workshop accepted at Web Science Conference 2015, Oxford, UK. Organized together with Luca Rossi and Taha Yasseri.
- Quantifying and Analysing Scholarly Communication on the Web – What can bibliometrics do for you? What can you do for bibliometrics? Workshop accepted at Web Science Conference 2015, Oxford, UK. Organized together with Peter Kraker, Elisabeth Lex and Isabella Peters.
- Co-Chair of the Social Science Track at the 5th Making Sense of Microposts Workshop, co-located with WWW 2015, Florence, Italy, May 2015.
- I-KNOW and I-SEMANTICS 2012. Co-organizer of the Open PhD Track, together with Peter Kraker, Julian Ausserhofer, Sebastian Dennerlein (Wissensmanagment Forum). Graz, September 5-7, 2012.
- #DIATA12: 2nd Düsseldorf Workshop on Interdisciplinary Approaches to Twitter Analysis. Organized together with Cornelius Puschmann and the Junior Researchers Group “Science and the Internet”, Düsseldorf, March 21, 2012.
- #DIATA11: Düsseldorf Workshop on Interdisciplinary Approaches to Twitter Analysis (#diata11). Organized together with Cornelius Puschmann and the Junior Researchers Group “Science and the Internet”, Düsseldorf, September 14-15, 2011.
- Social Software @ Work (SOSOFT09). Interdisciplinary Workshop. Co-organized with Isabella Peters, Violeta Trkulja and Cornelius Puschmann. Düsseldorf, September 28-29, 2009. Proceedings published at CEUR.
- ASLIB Journal of Information Managment (former ASLIB Proceedings)
- Digital Scholar
- Internet Histories
- JASIS&T (Journal of the American Society for Information Science & Technology)
- JIS (Journal of Information Science)
- Journal of Web Science
- JWS (Journal of Web Semantics)
- M/C Journal
- New Media and Society
- Social Media and Society
Regular reviewing for conference series:
- AoIR Association of Internet Research annual conference (former IR), since 2014
- GOR General Online Research Conference, 2014-2017
- IC2S2 International Conference on Computational Social Science, since 2015
- ICWSM International Conference on Web and Social Media
- I-KNOW and I-SEMANTICS, 2011-1016
- RESAW A Research Infrastructure for the Archived Web, since 2017
- SocInfo, 2016 + 2019
- The Web Conference (former WWW), since 2018
- WebSci Web Science Conference, since 2014
Reviews for single events / conferences / workshops:
- Addressing Divides: Inclusion and Representation Across the Web. Workshop at Web Science Conference 2015, June 2015, Oxford, UK.
- Computational Social Science – Contagion, Collective Behaviour, and Networks (CSS 2014), ECCS’14 Satellite Workshop, Lucca, Italy, September 2014.
- DGI Konferenz 2014. Frankfurt, Germany, May 2014.
- ECIS European Conference on Information Systems, Tel Aviv, June 2014.
- ESWC: Social Web and Web Science Track at Extended Semantic Web Conference (ESWC 2011), Crete, May 2011.
- Hypertext 2015, September 2015, Cyprus.
- ISI 2013, 13th International Symposium of Information Science (ISI 2013), Potsdam, Germany, March 2013.
- Making Sense of Microposts Workshop (MSM2012), WWW Conference, Lyon, April 2012.
- Making Sense of Microposts Workshop (MSM2013), WWW Conference, Rio, Brasil, May 2013.
- Making Sense of Microposts Workshop 2014, co-located with World Wide Web Conference 2014, Seoul, South Korea.
- STI 2018 Science and Technology Indicators Conference
- Association of Internet Researchers (AoIR)
- American Society for Information Science and Technology (ASIS&T)
- Founder member and former treasurer of FörderLink e.V., a nonprofit organisation supporting students in linguistics based at Heinrich-Heine-University Düsseldorf.
- Member of review board for the AoIR’s best dissertation award 2014.
- Member of the expert group for the co:lab initiative “Sustainability in the Digital World”.