CONFERENCE & WORKSHOP ORGANISATION
- FAIL! 3rd Workshop on Things that didn’t work out in social media research – and what we can learn from them (#fail2016). Workshop at International Conference on Web and Social Media (ICWSM-16), Cologne, Germany. Organized together with Luca Rossia and Fabio Giglietto.
- #Microposts2016: 6th Workshop on Making Sense of Microposts. Workshop at World Wide Web Conference 2016, Montreal, Canada. Chair of the (Computational) Social Science Track.
- FAIL! 2nd Workshop on Things that didn’t work out in social media research – and what we can learn from them (#fail2015b). Workshop at Internet Research 16 Conference, Phoenix, AZ, USA. Organized together with Luca Rossi and Karine Nahon.
- #FAIL! Things that didn’t work out in social media research – And what we can learn from them (#fail2015a). Workshop accepted at Web Science Conference 2015, Oxford, UK. Organized together with Luca Rossi and Taha Yasseri.
- Quantifying and Analysing Scholarly Communication on the Web – What can bibliometrics do for you? What can you do for bibliometrics? Workshop accepted at Web Science Conference 2015, Oxford, UK. Organized together with Peter Kraker, Elisabeth Lex and Isabella Peters.
- Co-Chair of the Social Science Track at the 5th Making Sense of Microposts Workshop, co-located with WWW 2015, Florence, Italy, May 2015.
- Conference on Science and the Internet (#COSCI12). Together with the Junior Researchers Group “Science and the Internet”, Düsseldorf, August 1-3, 2012.
- DGI-Conference 2012: Social Media & Web Science – The Web as a Living Space. Co-chaired with Isabella Peters. Düsseldorf, March 22-23, 2012. Additional information can be found on the conference blog.
- #DIATA12: 2nd Düsseldorf Workshop on Interdisciplinary Approaches to Twitter Analysis. Organized together with Cornelius Puschmann and the Junior Researchers Group “Science and the Internet”, Düsseldorf, March 21, 2012.
- #DIATA11: Düsseldorf Workshop on Interdisciplinary Approaches to Twitter Analysis (#diata11). Organized together with Cornelius Puschmann and the Junior Researchers Group “Science and the Internet”, Düsseldorf, September 14-15, 2011.
- Co-initiator and co-organizer of the Workshop series “SWiF”, together with Isabella Peters and Dirk Lewandowski. SWiF (Studentischer Workshop für informationswissenschaftliche Forschung) is a series of workshops where students in information science can present their research results and meet fellow students from other universities.
SWiF2010, Düsseldorf, November 26-27, 2010
SWiF2011, Düsseldorf, November 18-19, 2011
SWiF2012, Hamburg, November 9-10, 2012
SWIF2013, Köln, November 22-23, 2013. Local organisers: U. Georgy and R. Seidler-de Alwis
- Social Software @ Work (SOSOFT09). Interdisciplinary Workshop. Co-organized with Isabella Peters, Violeta Trkulja and Cornelius Puschmann. Düsseldorf, September 28-29, 2009. Proceedings published at CEUR.
COMMITTEES & REVIEWS
I have reviewed for the following journals:
- ASLIB Journal of Information Managment (former ASLIB Proceedings)
- JASIS&T (Journal of the American Society for Information Science & Technology)
- JIS (Journal of Information Science)
- JWS (Journal of Web Semantics)
- M/C Journal
Furthermore I have been in the following programme committees:
- Reviewer for Addressing Divides: Inclusion and Representation Across the Web. Workshop at Web Science Conference 2015, June 2015, Oxford, UK.
- Reviewer for Hypertext 2015, September 2015, Cyprus.
- Reviewer for International Conference on Computational Social Science (ICCSS) 2015, Helsinki, June 2015.
- Member of the International Board of Reviewers for the next General Online Research Conference 2015 (www.gor.de)
- Reviewer for Computational Social Science Winter Symposium, Dec. 1, 2014 at GESIS Cologne.
- Reviewer for Computational Social Science – Contagion, Collective Behaviour, and Networks (CSS 2014), ECCS’14 Satellite Workshop, Lucca, Italy, September 2014.
- PC member for SEMANTICS 14, Leipzig, Germany, September 2014.
- Reviewer for Web Science Conference 2014, Bloomington, June 2014.
- Reviewer for IR15 – Boundaries and Intersections, The 15th Annual Conference of the Association of Internet Researchers. Bangkok, Thailand, October 2014.
- PC member for Making Sense of Microposts Workshop 2014, co-located with World Wide Web Conference 2014, Seoul, South Korea.
- Reviewer for European Conference on Information Systems (ECIS), Tel Aviv, June 2014.
- Member of international board for General Online Research (GOR) 2014, Cologne, March 2014.
- PC member for DGI Konferenz 2014. Frankfurt, Germany, May 2014.
- Reviewer for IR14, The 14th Annual Conference of the Association of Internet Researchers. Denver, Colorado, October 2013.
- PC for Making Sense of Microposts Workshop (MSM2013), WWW Conference, Rio, Brasil, May 2013.
- I-KNOW and I-SEMANTICS 2013. PC member for I-Semantics 2013, PC Member for I-KNOW special track “Knowledge Management in Science”. Graz, Austria, September 2013.
- PC for 13th International Symposium of Information Science (ISI 2013), Potsdam, Germany, March 2013.
- I-KNOW and I-SEMANTICS 2012. PC-member and reviewer for I-Semantics main conference and i-science special track. Co-organizer of the Open PhD Track, together with Peter Kraker, Julian Ausserhofer, Sebastian Dennerlein (Wissensmanagment Forum). Graz, September 5-7, 2012.
- PC for Making Sense of Microposts Workshop (MSM2012), WWW Conference, Lyon, April 2012.
- PC for the Special Track Recommendation, Data Sharing and Research Practices in Science 2.0 at I-KNOW Conference 2011, Graz, September 2011.
- PC for Social Web and Web Science at Extended Semantic Web Conference (ESWC 2011), Crete, May 2011.
- 2011-2012: Extending Computer-Aided Methods for the Analysis of Blogging and Microblogging Discourses and Publics. Project together with ARC Center of Excellence for Creative Industries and Innovation at Queensland University of Technology Brisbane, Australia. Funded by DAAD (Deutscher Akademischer Austausch Dienst) and ATN (Australian Technology Network). During this project I have been visiting researcher at QUT Brisbane in June 2011 and February 2012.
- 2010-2012: Junior Researchers Group “Science and the Internet”. Funded by the Heinrich-Heine-University Düsseldorf’s research fund (Forschungsförderungsfonds).
- 2008-2009. Multimediale und kollaborative Lehr- und Lernumgebungen in der akademischen Ausbildung [collaborative learning evironments and multi media in academic teaching]. Funded by the Heinrich-Heine-University Düsseldorf’s teaching funds (Lehrförderfonds).
- 2005-2008: Ontoverse. Collaborative knowledge management in the Live Science network. Interdisciplinary resarch project together with University Duisburg Essen and others. Funded by BMBF (Federal Ministry of Education and Research).
- 2004-2005: Student assistant in a market research project at HHU Düsseldorf on behalf of the Federal Ministry of Economics and Technology.
- 2005: Three month stay in London, UK for research on my Magister thesis (equivalent to master thesis). Topic: Britische Filmpropaganda im Zweiten Weltkrieg [British propaganda films during World War II]. Supported by DAAD (Deutscher Akademischer Austausch Dienst).
- American Society for Information Science and Technology (ASIS&T)
- Deutsche Gesellschaft für Informationswissenschaft und Informationspraxis (DGI)
- Founder member and former treasurer of FörderLink e.V., a nonprofit organisation supporting students in linguistics based at Heinrich-Heine-University Düsseldorf.
- Association of Internet Researchers (AoIR)
- Member of review board for the AoIR’s best dissertation award 2014.
- External examiner of a Honours Thesis submitted at Queensland University of Technology, QUT Brisbane.
- Participant in the roundtable session “Twitter and Society and beyond” at Internet Research 14.0, Denver, Colorado, USA, 23-26 October 2013.
- Member of the expert group for the co:lab initiative “Sustainability in the Digital World”.